The Sr. Partial Discharge Engineer is responsible for Partial Discharge diagnostics (PD) of Transmission & Distribution (T&D) equipment. The Sr. Partial Discharge Engineer will apply their in-depth knowledge of High Voltage and Partial Discharge for developing PD diagnostics techniques both in the lab and in the field, and makes recommendations for improving the product Partial Discharge performance.
- Conduct on and off-line Partical Discharge testing to diagnose and improve product performance and reduction of yields.
- Perform Electrical FEA simulation various product types including on solid die modules.
- Perform Electrical and PD testing to validate simulation results.
- Develop PD maps of existing solid dielectric insulation products that will be used for PD troubleshooting.
- Perform PD diagnostics to understand what is causing high PD to improve product yield.
- Perform PD diagnostics on random "good PD" modules.
- Performs DOE and Aging tests to establish the test threshold for each product.
- Perform extensive PD diagnostics on new products coming from the New Product Development (NPD) team. Help to proactively identify and correct potential issues which are unidentifiable with existing methodology.
- Improvement of Electrical simulations and PD/Aging testing procedures.
- Improvement of PD detection methods for current production, new products and products in the field
- Self-management of assigned projects and job cost accountability to perform work within budgeted cost estimates.
- Mentorship and training of other engineers to ensure bench / succession planning.
- Bachelor's Degree Electrical Engineering with 5+ years progressive experience in partial discharge field, experience working and applying partial discharge technology or
- PhD related to Partial Discharge study with ~2 years of progressive related experience
- Familiar with PD in molded products
- Knowledge and practice of safety precautions related to working with electrical and electronic equipment.
- Work on highly technical and involved projects constantly challenged with new problems
- Ability to effectively communicate
- Able to read and interpret technical standards
- Able to write technical documents, like test reports, engineering standards and technical papers.
- High degree of initiative to finish tasks on time
- Drive to learn new methodologies
Physical Demands / Working Conditions:
- General Office Environment, PC use
- Light Lifting (occasional 25 lbs or less)
- Heavy Lifting (frequent 25 lbs +)
VEVRAA Federal Contractor