The primary objective of this role is to provide operations management of the transportation network supporting the ACCO Brands U.S. and Canada supply chain. A key initiative is to stay current on transportation industry trends and provide proactive thought leadership on improving carrier performance. This position manages a Transportation Supervisor, Transportation Analyst and Transportation Coordinator plus 1 indirect report (Transportation Coordinator).
Duties and Responsibilities
Proactively communicate with the commercial organization, customer supply chain management, distribution centers, load planners, customer care, 3rd Party Logistics warehouse providers, transport providers, and other functional business areas to ensure the transportation network (truckload, LTL, pool points and parcel) meets the established metrics of delivering product to our customers.
Based on changing business needs, update and communicate the strategic plan to balance on-time delivery, damage free delivery and cost effective delivery.
Work with the Fleet Manager to insure that routing decisions made between fleet and contract carrier optimizes freight cost in total.
- Maintain effective relationships with logistics providers through management of ACCO Brands' Freight Payment and Freight Claims responsibilities.
Identify the transportation needs of ACCO Brands, solicit and evaluate carrier proposals to meet those needs, provide final recommendations on overall carrier selection and lane/site assignment, while balancing both cost and service needs.
Monitor overall carrier performance (service, cost, process improvements, performance issues), involve cross functional team members in resolution where necessary, and ensure carrier compliance with all ACCO Brands technical (EDI) and business process requirements.
As needed, participate as a subject matter expert on Lean Six Sigma (LSS) project teams. Gain internal certification in the LSS process and implement cost saving initiatives.
Assign NMFC codes to new or existing items.
- 4-year college degree in Supply Chain Management, Logistics, Transportation, or General Business Management or equivalent years of related experience
- 4-5 years of closely related work experience, preferably in Transportation Management
- Experience managing people is required
- ??????Transportation Management Systems experience (Oracle, TMS, Manhattan TMS) preferred, i2 or Red Prairie acceptable.
- Proficiency (intermediate level) in Microsoft Office, Excel, Word, Power Point
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Ability to travel 20% of the time