Staff Accountant - Chicago IL
The primary duty of the Staff Accountant position is to support HIMSS financial operations by performing complex accounting services related to billing, receivables, exhibit revenue, and collections management as well as developing and monitoring internal controls related to these processes. The Staff Accountant position requires the ability to interact effectively with people at all organizational levels. The individual must possess good analytical skills and be detail focused. The duties of this position require problem-solving and decision-making skills and proficient oral and written communication abilities. The Staff Accountant is also responsible for participating in the monthly close process and providing accurate and timely financial information as needed.
- Manage the billing, receipts, and collections process with regard to exhibitor and sponsorship clients for HIMSS conferences. In doing so must apply and use judgment and professional skills in determining appropriate procedures.
- Ensure that exhibitor billing, receipts, and collections are appropriately recorded in the exhibit subsystem, accounts receivable detail, and the general ledger.
- Manage collection activities such as sending follow-up inquiries, making phone calls, negotiating with past due accounts. Negotiate and work with customers to arrange payment plans or to provide additionally required documentation in order to facilitate payment of outstanding receivables. Evaluate accounts on an ongoing basis, including communication with the sales teams and business owners as needed, to determine subsequent actions up to and including referral of account to an outside collections agency. Provide up-to-date information to help determine if service to the customer should be denied or terminated based on non-payment.
- Understand the functionality of the exhibit system (A2Z) regarding financial matters and work with others in Finance and the technology area to ensure the system is operating efficiently, effectively and accurately.
- Function as the team lead working with the Accounts Receivable/Membership Processors on the performance of their duties. Monitor the related billing, cash receipts, and accounts receivable processes and reports to ensure timely completion and addressing of open issues. Monitor the status of their collection efforts and provide guidance as needed on actions to be taken. Ensure cross-training on Personify and A2Z.
- Work within the Company's credit policy, recommending changes as necessary to support sales growth and process improvement while limiting risk. Recommend payment terms, policies, and credit limits to new and existing customers as needed.
- Suggest ways to improve customer service and the billings and collections process and maintenance of accounts receivable records and participate in implementation.
- Perform assigned monthly and annual closing duties to help ensure that the schedule is met and the monthly financial statements and other reports to be used by management are produced accurately and timely. This may include journal entries, financial analyses, and account reconciliations.
- Participate in determining the appropriate procedures for contracting with conference exhibitors and sponsors. Review such conference-related contracts for compliance with established policies and procedures and, when necessary, elevate any identified issues for legal advice. from HIMSS' general counsel.
- Provide timely and accurate responses to assigned customer service tickets (Footprints) and provide guidance to the Accounts Receivable/Membership Processors on their tickets as needed.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting desirable.
- A minimum of three years' experience in accounting, including accounts receivable and billing, and familiarity with the professional accounting practices involved in account analysis and reconciliations.
- Exceptional accounting and analytical skills. High attention to detail and follow-through.
- Strong Microsoft Office skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and organizational skills.
- Self-starter. Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with multiple tasks and priorities (e.g. multiple conferences and revenue sources).
- Experience with computerized accounting software. Experience with billing, ordering and receivables systems. Experience with A2Z and Personify would be preferred. Experience with Great Plains would be desirable. Previous experience in a professional society or trade association would be a plus.