Manager, Media and Systems Services
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Search Extended March 15, 2013
The University of Illinois Counseling Center is accepting applications for the position of Manager, Media and Systems Services. The successful candidate will join an energetic, diverse team of 38 staff including 22 clinicians, 4 doctoral interns, 6 Counseling Center professional staff, 7 administrative staff as well as a team of graduate assistants, undergraduate paraprofessionals, and practicum trainees. The University of Illinois Counseling Center's mission is to provide culturally competent services to a diverse clientele presenting with a wide range of psychological, educational, social, and developmental concerns. The Counseling Center is also an APA approved doctoral internship site.
The University is located in the twin cities of Champaign and Urbana in central Illinois. The campus is situated between the three major metropolitan areas of Chicago, Indianapolis, and St. Louis and is considered one of the top comprehensive research public universities in the nation. The successful candidate will be working on campus with an academically talented and ethnically diverse student population, including 19 percent international students, 14 percent Asian American students, 5 percent African American students, and 7 percent Latino/a students from a total enrollment of over 44,500 students. The University of Illinois is a traditional residential campus with nearly 10,500 students living in campus housing.
Developing and maintaining an online presence for Counseling Center services is paramount to this position. The successful candidate will transform the Counseling Center's online presence and approach to outreach and collecting meaningful data that enhances and impacts service delivery. The person in this role will be responsible for developing and maintaining Counseling Center media forms used for marketing, prevention and outreach, and some forms of data collection. This staff member will provide leadership and management of the Counseling Center's media and systems services including but not limited to digital media, communications, social media, content management, and technical systems. This staff member will provide assistance and technical advice for assessment and data collection processes. The successful candidate will plan and fulfill the Counseling Center's overall communication and promotion efforts by developing strategies to increase and continually improve exposure to faculty, staff, and students.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and execute a marketing-based, strategic plan for communications through advanced media and social media that results in engagement of services by faculty, staff, and student
- Write, edit, and oversee production of electronic and print publications related to Counseling Center services.
- Develop creative marketing and promotional materials for a broad range of campus audiences using various media technologies
- Maintain and manage programmatic digital communications initiatives, including but not limited to websites, social media accounts, and digital signage
- Develop and design a variety of print and online media including but not limited to brochures, direct mail, posters, displays, newspaper advertising, podcasts, vodcasts, interactive psycho-educational sites, content management, social media sites, and websites in support of the Counseling Center outreach and consultation mission
- Prepare digital art and necessary production for outside print vendors and organizational archiving
- Develop and maintain Counseling Center media forms used for marketing, prevention and outreach, and some forms of data collection
- Technically enhance current data collection by developing reporting tools for internal and external use
- Monitor online workshops offered to students
- Research and apply creative marketing strategies for high impact in prevention services
- Manage content for digital signage throughout Counseling Center facilities
- Measure and report on the effectiveness of communications and usage of media tools
- Conduct ongoing peer analysis and benchmarking of media service in the mental health field
- Supervise staff, graduate assistants, and Counseling Center paraprofessionals.
- Provide oversight and backup to network analyst functions including security, compliance, and server maintenance
- Develop and maintain accurate budget and resource allocation information, including annual or as needed budgets for operational support activities
- Manage staff including the recruiting and selection of staff, setting goals, daily workflows, conducting performance appraisals, career development, succession planning, coaching, and mentoring, etc.
- Provide reports, analyses, data and information and recommendations to the Director
Bachelor's degree required (preferably in marketing, communications, or related field)
- At least three years' experience designing communications systems/software, preferably in an academic environment
- At least three years' experience in web design or development
- Experience using web publishing tools and social media
- At least one year experience managing employees
- Knowledge of executing web and social media strategies, preferable
- Working knowledge of project management and marketing skills are critical
- Knowledge of current content management systems, web analytics software, graphic design software packages, HTML, DHTML, XML, ASP, CSS coding. Other tools will be considered
- Knowledge of accessibility and usability standards
- Knowledge of video production, classroom capture, and digital editing is also preferred
- Must be able to communicate complicated ideas simply and effectively - both verbally and visually
For full consideration, applications must be received by April 1, 2013.
July 1, 2013 or mutually acceptable date
12-months with 24 vacation days; full time regular position
Commensurate with qualifications and years of experience
To ensure full consideration please create your candidate profile through jobs.illinois.edu and upload your letter of application, a vita, and contact information for three references by the closing date of April 1, 2013. Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit three current letters of recommendation to:
Deidre Weathersby, Ph.D., Search Committee Chair
Counseling Center, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
110 Student Services Building
610 E. John St.
Champaign, IL 61820
Additionally, this position is a security sensitive position. All finalists for this position will require a background check and final offers will be contingent upon the results of the background check. The University ensures that all background checks are held in compliance with all federal and state statutes, and campus policy. Information attained from the background check will be kept strictly confidential. Finalists will have the right to request a copy of the report the University will receive.
Individuals with diverse backgrounds, experience and ideas who embrace and value diversity and inclusivity are encouraged to apply. THE UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu