|Position:||Director of Real Estate & Development (IRC6871)|
|Job Location(s):||Elk Grove Village, IL|
|Start Date:||As soon as possible|
|Employment Type||Full Time|
|Starting Salary Range:|
|Required Education:||Associate Degree|
|Required Security Clearance:||None|
|Related Categories:||Real Estate and Property Mgmt, Management and Supervision|
|Job Title||Director of Real Estate & Development (IRC6871)|
|Location||Elk Grove Village, IL, US|
|Organization||Real Estate Development Group|
M. A. Mortenson Company is one of the largest general contractors in the United States. Headquartered in Minneapolis, Minnesota, Mortenson is a total facility services enterprise that provides comprehensive solutions and services from development through ownership. These services include planning, program and construction management, design/build delivery, and facility management and operations. Founded in 1954 by M. A. Mortenson, Sr., this family-owned company will have 2013 revenues of over $2B.
Mortenson employs approximately 2,500 construction professionals in a network of seven offices located in the cities of Minneapolis, Seattle, Denver, Phoenix, Milwaukee, and Chicago. The company works primarily in the United States and Canada and maintains other offices in Toronto and Shanghai, China. In addition, Mortenson boasts six U.S. industry-focused groups. Mortenson's wide-range of construction expertise encompasses healthcare, sports and assembly, aviation, biotechnology, commercial office buildings, education, hospitality, industrial manufacturing, power generation, renewable energy, federal/military, and telecommunications facilities.
The company's project costs range from less than $1 million to more than $700 million. Some of Mortenson's more notable projects include:
Every facet of Mortenson's business is guided by these foundational elements:
The company is frequently named one of the Best Places to Work and is the recipient of numerous awards for quality, safety, and innovation. In addition, Mortenson has positioned itself at the forefront of the construction industry's green movement and has earned a reputation as a leader in sustainable and energy-efficient building. As part of a commitment to stewardship, five percent of pre-tax income is donated annually to provide assistance locally, nationally, and internationally.
Mortenson has been providing real estate development services to our customers since 1975. This emerged from the company's commitment to meet customers' needs through the integrated delivery of total facility services. For many of our customers, those needs include project development and real estate services. Throughout our work, we incorporate our company's overall business philosophy, which is dedicated to meeting or exceeding customer expectations for schedule, budget and facility operations.
The Director of Real Estate & Development will be charged with driving Mortenson's development strategy in a targeted market. The Chicago-based role will work closely with the Mortenson's local construction team as well as the national development team to find strategic opportunities that meet the Company's investment parameters on a risk-adjusted basis. This position will report to and receive oversight from the Vice President and General Manager of Mortenson Development, Inc. and will have a close teaming relationship with the Mortenson construction leadership team based in Chicago.
* Understand the market and how to capitalize on new development opportunities using a creative and entrepreneurial
* Network with customers, architects, brokers, financial institutions and other leaders in the target markets of
healthcare, office, industrial, hospitality, higher education and mission critical.
* Generate offers for development opportunities, negotiating and executing Letters of Intent with prospective Sellers.
* Cooperate with legal counsel in the preparation of Purchase Agreements and related legal documentation
necessary to complete transactions.
* Oversee and coordinate the underwriting and due diligence of assigned transactions, including financial modeling,
board approval presentations, market surveys, tenant credit analysis, tenant interviews and ordering, coordinating,
and analyzing third party reports.
* Provide Company management with information regarding current market conditions, including supply, demand and
* Execute the development processes for all acquired land and being creative in making the deal successful.
* Identify and source opportunities to grow the Chicago business unit.
* Develop and maintain debt and equity capital relationships.
* Provide Argus and Excel cash flow analysis for acquisitions and developments.
* Lead transition of acquired property to the development team for execution.
* Review and evaluate third party due diligence reports.
* Develop and implement strategic business plans to maximize cash flow and value.
* Conduct extensive market research including broker interaction and property inspections.
* Prepare investment memorandums for equity investors.
* Be active in real estate organizations oriented toward established target markets.
* Four year college degree is required with major course work in real estate, finance, engineering,
business administration or another related field preferred.
* Master's degree in real estate or real estate related field of study preferred.
* 15 years relevant development and real estate experience.
* Proven professional expertise in the entire real estate development process from site acquisition to
* Business development experience with a track record of growing and building customer relationships.
* Critical characteristics include: strategic, self-directed, organized, responsive, tenacious, independent,
creative, resilient, collaborative.
* Excellent networking, marketing and relationship skills.
* Superior customer service skills.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
* Strong analytical background and experience.
* Computer/technology skills including Microsoft Office.
* Ability to work independently with limited supervision.
* Ability to work under pressure and coordinate numerous activities and groups of people in order to
achieve maximum efficiency.
* The ideal candidate will personally possess traits that are consistent with Mortenson's values and
leadership competencies. This person will be a down-to-earth, practical person who operates with
humility and models his/her commitment to a fun workplace.
M.A. Mortenson is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
|Amount of Travel||Minimum Travel|