The Department of English seeks to hire an Academic Advisor to advise undergraduate students who are majoring in English, Creative Writing, and English Education. This individual will report to the Head of the Department, and work with the other English undergraduate advisor.
- Advise all English/ Creative Writing /English Education majors and minors, inter-college transfers, and external transfers.
- Work with LAS advisors to monitor students' progress toward completing General Education, foreign language, and major requirements.
- Discuss and promote internship, graduate, and professional programs and career development with undergraduates.
- Coordinate alumni mentoring for majors.
- Strategize outreach to prospective students.
- Evaluate English and Rhetoric courses taken at other universities, as well as work done on Study Abroad programs, for equivalency or elective credit at University of Illinois.
- Work with or cosponsor departmental student groups such as the English Student Council, assisting with student publications and events.
- Serve as a member on the departmental curriculum committee.
- Consult with Associate Head concerning matters of scheduling and enrollment management.
- Provide support for departmental publications and communication to undergraduate majors, i.e., the advising website, blog, and social media.
- Maintain an awareness of University and community resources available to undergraduates in dealing with a wide range of emotional, physical, financial, and academic difficulties.
- Represent the department to prospective students and their parents through correspondence and attendance at events.
- Plan, organize and attend departmental convocation ceremony.
Ability to work with computer database applications; demonstrated ability and commitment to working with culturally diverse groups; exceptional communication skills; demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with colleagues. Master's degree in English, Rhetoric, or related field is required. At least one year previous experience in advising, student services, counseling, and related activities in a college or university setting is desirable.
Salary and Start Date
This is a 100% time, twelve-month appointment to start as soon as possible after the closing date. Salary commensurate with demonstrated abilities and qualifications.
All candidates must complete an online profile through http://jobs.illinois.edu by July 15, 2013. To apply, you must upload your application letter, and CV (including names and contact information for three professional references) through this system. For further information contact: Amy Rumsey, email@example.com
Illinois is an Affirmative Action /Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and ideas who embrace and value diversity and inclusivity. (www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu).